I am currently reading Am I Blue? by Bruce Coville. The story is about a boy, Vince, who is being bullied and his fairy god-father helps him understand some things. I say in this story Vince changes.
One reason I say Vince changes is because he has a fairy god-father, Melvin, to help him through some situations. Vince is being bullied by a kid named Butch Carrigan. He calls Vince gay and a little fruit. Vince is currently confused about whether he is gay or not. Melvin was murdered because he was gay. So gay-bashing is an important issue to him; he doesn't want it happening to Vince. So Melvin decided he wanted to become Vince's fairy god-father to help him. Melvin wanted to get Vince to understand that everyone is gay, or blue, somewhat. He made everyone who had a gay experience blue for Vince to see. If they were a light shade of blue, they're the slightest bit of gay or had a gay experience. If they were a dark shade of blue they're gay. I think this example of what Melvin did, helped Vince change a little and understand more throughout the story.
Another reason I say Vince changes throughout the story is because when everyone turned blue, Vince asked Melvin if he can leave the blue radiance within everyone for a little while longer. And so he did. The next day he asked if he can make Butch Carrigan Blue. To please Vince, Melvin went to achieve Vince's request. When he returns to Vince, he tells him that Butch... was already blue! I think this helps Vince because he sees how not everyone is honest and are wrong to be doing things that affect people in different ways. For example, Butch hurting Vince affects Vince because he is confused about himself and he is physically being hurt. I think Vince seeing that Butch, his bully, was radiating with the shade of blue helped Vince really change throughout the story.
In conclusion, I think Vince changed throughout the story. I think seeing everyone blue made him realize that it is okay to be what he wants to be. No one can tell him who he is. I think he also realizes that people are hypocrites and they are wrong to be doing what they're doing, like Butch.
Idalia, how exactly does Melvin help Vince change? Why does this experience have an effect on him? Also, what do you mean that Butch is being physically hurt? Try to tie everything together.
ReplyDelete