The article Doomed Dolphin Speaks to New York's Vibrant Wildlife written by Brian Switek is about the dolphin that died in the Gowanus Canal recently. The article talks about how sudden the dolphin's death was. The dolphin didn't survive long enough for a rescue plan to come together. The article also talks about how random marine animals end up mysteriously in New York City. "Marine mammals are arguably the most high-profile of New York City's wild residents and visitors." it states in the article. A whale was spotted about a month ago in Queens; it died a day after it was spotted. The dolphin and whale's death is unknown.
I think one thing the author wants us to think about while reading this article is about how polluted the water can be. The article says, "The reason the marine mammal died, and why the dolphin swam up the polluted waterway in the first place, is as yet unknown." Even though no one doesn't know why the dolphin died, it is very possible it died because it was swimming in polluted water for a while.
My thinking has been changed from reading this article because I never thought anything can survive in the Gowanus Canal's polluted water. I also never thought about how easily it is for any animal to escape and wound up in a random place like on the streets of New York. I would like to know what was the longest time something has lived in the Gowanus Canal. I would also like to know how the dolphin even got in the canal.
No comments:
Post a Comment